I'm not sure what came over me, and why I let it happen, but I decided to start a Christmas Quilt last weekend. Once I have my mind set on something I have to get it done, so I made the quilt top. I thought I would have enough fabric and batting to finish it, but I was wrong. A trip to Walmart for batting and a sheet were in order. I got it home and started the basting. The backing just barely fit the quilt top. I should have stopped there and added more fabric or bought a bigger sheet. Did I? Nope. I was too impatient to get it done. Once the basting was done I had every intention to start quilting. Unfortunately life and illnesses got in the way, so it sat basted for about a week.
When I finally sat down to quilt it, I couldn't decide on the design. I'm tired of stitch in the ditch. I practiced free motion stippling, but I ended up breaking two needles. Needless to say, I need more practice before I commit to a full quilt. I finally decided to outline the rows with squiggly lines. Something simple that would add some whimsy to my quilt. It looks good, except for the puckers in the corners where the stitching meets. They looked really bad before washing, but now are barely noticeable.
When I was done quilting I looked at the back. Several corners of the backing fabric ended up shifting and were now too short. There was no way to cover them with the binding. In order to fix it I simply hand stitched small pieces of matching fabric to make it fit. Once the binding was in place it is barely noticeable, just a few odd seams at the corners. I think it adds to the whimsy.
If there is one thing I learned from this quilt is that I need to have more patience. I also shouldn't try making a quilt with such a tight deadline. I was really afraid it was going to look like a hot mess when I pulled it out of the dryer, but it looks pretty good. I will definitely take more time with the next one. I will also start Christmas projects earlier, like January!
Here are a few pics.